What are the ways of establishing meaningful relationships with God?
The founder of Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, Hazrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (1835-1908) has mentioned eight means for this purpose in his book Philosophy of the Teachings of Islam.
- To recognize God Almighty correctly and to believe in the True God. Naturally if somebody wants to establish meaningful relations with others, the first step is to recognize who those others are. In the spiritual word, one must understand who God is. Worldly objects are not given status of God in Islam.
- To be informed of the perfect beauty of God Almighty.
- Knowledge of His beneficence. As the Creator of this universe once must be sure that He has beneficent powers.
- Constant supplications for help and guidance on this journey of life. It is a living God who hears to our supplications and responds in a way which is understandable and can be used in decision making.
- Striving in His cause is another method of establishing relationships with Him. This means one employs his/her all faculties and capabilities in the cause of helping His creation.
- Being steadfast in establishing these relationships. Many people may give up quickly because things are not happening the way is asking for. One must understand that only God knows what is best for us. If things are not given to us what we are asking for, then one should not become disheartened. One must remain firm under trials and tribulations, that is both in adversity and prosperity.
- Keeping company with the righteous is another mean of establishing meaningful relationship with God. One can learn more from people who have experience with God.
- Once a person continues his/her efforts to establish meaningful relationship with God, then they are rewarded with true dreams, visions and revelation. This reinforces one’s efforts that God is real and does respond to our supplications in many ways which one can understand. This is the ultimate in meaningful relations.