Jalsa Salana (Annual Convention)
Objectives, Purposes & Blessings of Jalsa Salana
In the Words of the Promised Messiah (Peace be on him!)
Purpose of Jalsa Salana
“ The primary purpose of this Convention is to enable every sincere individual to personally experience religious benefits; They may enhance their knowledge and –due to their being blessed and enabled by Allah, The Exalted- their perception [ of Allah ] may progress. Among its secondary benefits is that this congregational meeting together will promote mutual introduction among all brothers, and it will strengthen the fraternal ties within this Community..”
(Ishtihar 7 Dec. 1892, Majmoo`ah Ishtiharat Vol. I, Page 340).
Not an Ordinary Convention
“ It is essential for all those who can afford to undertake the journey, that they must come to attend this Convention which embodies many blessed objectives. They should disregard minor inconveniences in the cause of Allah and His prophet (peace be upon him.). Allah yields reward to the sincere persons at every step of their way, and no labour and hardship, undertaken in His way, ever goes to waste. I re-emphasize that you must not rank this convention in the same league as other, ordinary, human assemblies. This is a phenomenon that is based purely on the Divine Help, for propagation of Islam.”
(Ishtihar 7 Dec. 1892, Majmoo`ah Ishtiharat Vol. I, Page 341)
“ I conclude with the prayer that everyone who travels for [attending] this Convention that is for the sake of Allah: May Allah, the Exalted, be with him, reward him in abundant measure, have mercy on him, ease up for him his circumstances of hardship and anxiety and eliminate his anguish and grief. May He grant him freedom from every single hardship and lay open for him the ways of [achieving] his cherished goals, and raise him up, on the day of Judgment, among those of His servants who are the recipients of His blessings and Mercy. May He be their Guardian in their absence until after their journey comes to an end. O Allah! O Sublime One and Bestower of bounties, the Ever Merciful and One Who Resolves all problems, do grant all these prayers, and grant us Victory over our opponents with scintillating signs, because You alone have all the prowess and power. Aameen! Aameen!!”
(Ishtihar 7 Dec. 1892, Majmoo`ah Ishtiharat Vol. I, Page 342)
Etiquettes of Attending Jalsa Salana
The Promised Messiah (AS) has prayed for all participants of the Jalsa – past, present and future – in the following words:
“I pray to God that He be with all those who are coming to attend the Jalsa. May God grant them great rewards, may He show Mercy on them and remove their hardships and sorrows. May He let them have what they desire and raise them on the Day of Resurrection along with those to whom He has shown Mercy and His Grace. ‘O God, O You who are the great Granter, the Benevolent and Merciful, the Remover of hardships, do listen to all these my prayers and grant us victory over our opponents with great glaring signs, for You have the power to do whatever You like. Ameen.’ ” (Ishteharat, Vol.1 p.342 – December 7, 1892)
This is no ordinary gathering. There are many benefits of the Jalsa to the participants.
Members should utilize this opportunity to renew their personal faith and spirituality, meet and establish friendship with other members of the community, welcome new members into the fold of the community and remember those who have passed away in the previous year and pray for them.
Jalsa participants should:
- Pray for safe travel of all members to and from Jalsa
- Try to portray the true and beautiful image of the Jamaat to outsiders, especially our neighbors.
- Cooperate with Khuddam on duty to help you park in appropriate spaces.
- Register as soon as you come to Jalsa and put on your name badge.
- Notify security about any suspicious characters not wearing a badge.
- Offer Salat in congregation at designated times.
- Observe proper mosque etiquette when in the prayer area.
- Listen quietly during recitation of the Holy Quran.
- Not disturb others by talking among yourselves during the formal sessions.
- Attend Jalsa sessions in marquees at proper times.
- Not visit the dining tent or stalls during formal sessions.
- Not waste food and keep the dining area clean.
- Keep the bathrooms clean and report any non-functional bathrooms ASAP.
- Be courteous to fellow attendees of the Jalsa.
- Show respect to your elders and act in a kind manner to those younger than you.
- Not waste time in idle gossip but spend their spare time in remembering Allah.
- Wear Islamic clothing. Men and women should cover their heads.
- Women must observe Purdah and men must observe “Ghaz-e-Basr”(lowering of the eyes).
- Men should not crowd near the women’s entrance.
- Families should fix their meeting points beforehand to avoid crowding in these areas.
- Make sure that children as well as teenagers are at their best behavior.
- Mothers should come prepared and bring formula, supplies and diapers etc for their infants.
- Constantly pray for the success of the Jalsa.